Plastic needles are cheap and light. They’re smoother than wooden and bamboo knitting needles but not as much as metal.
Read all the details, benefits and drawbacks, and the best brands in my reviews.
These materials are something that make great beginner and childrens knitting needles!
Table Of Contents
Need the best yarn to use for baby blanket? Read my review of the contenders.
Plastic Circular Knitting Needles
Boye Plastic Circular Knitting Needles
They have colored plastic needle tips with a flexible clear cable. The tip isn’t too blunt or sharp.
- These items are lightweight and affordable, making it easier to work the rows.
- This thing has cheap shipping prices
- They’re the favorites of many knitters
- Not a wide variety of sizes available, though there are others for sale in separate listings
addi Knitting Needle Turbo Circulars
High strength, lightweight durable and smooth clear resin jumbo circulars with shimmering golden glitter. Clear cords.
- These products have Smooth joins between tips and cord
- This type is one great for knitting in the round.
- These tools add a bit of glitter fun to your knitting experience
- Not a lot of choice as there are limited sets of sizes available
Pony Fixed Circular Needles
- Sizes Available – 2.75mm – 25.00mm
- Cord Lengths Available – 80cm
- Lasts a long time
- It may not stand to lots of use.
Plastic Double Pointed Knitting Needles
Addi Gold Glitter Double Pointed Needles
These are high quality, durable and smooth clear plastic DPNs with shimmering gold glitter.
US 17 (12mm) Length: 9″ (23 cm)
- These supplies are such fun
- Great for chunky and bulky projects
- Made in Germany
- Addi is a well known brand for needles
- Great craftsmanship
- Not available in smaller sizes
Denise2Go FLEX Double Pointed Needle Set, US 5-15
They are designed for the knitter who does a serious amount of different types of projects requiring DPNS.
- Needle Size – US 5 – 15
- Needles Lengths – 8.5″ for US Sizes 5 – 10 , and 9.5″ for US sizes 11 – 15
- Other Notions Included – 6 2″- (5 cm) cords to make two shorter DPN sets and four stitch holders
- Made From – Durable Plastic
- These options give you value for your money
- These accessories have sharp tips, so they’re great for everything from the purl stitch to jumbo yarn
- Smooth and lightweight, perfect for knitting all patterns!
- Plastic might be uncomfortable for people to use
- Gets warm in your hands very quickly
Susan Bates Plastic Knitting Needles
This gift set contains four pair of 10 inch needles in sizes 8 (5mm), 9 (5-1/2mm), 10 (6mm) and 10-1/2 (6-1/2mm).
- These things are lightweight and have a smooth finish, perfect for hand knitting.
- Each size is color-coded, so you can find the size you need at a glance, and it’s often rated five stars.
- Knobs feature a no-roll design with the printed US and metric sizes
- These single point needles break if not handled carefully.
- You have to have an account at this shop to place an order and get the seasonal deals.
Benefits/Drawbacks Of Plastic Knitting Needles
Use Plastic knitting needles with rounded tips when working with super bulky and super chunky yarns. The points are less likely to split the yarn. Though they’re not good for knitting lace.
These lighter-weight needles for knitting are less likely to promote fatigue when using heavier yarns. Look for needles with a smooth finish to avoid yarn snagging on the needles.
This knitting needle can also bend easily and occasionally break.
Also, while they’re excellent for simple stitches and knitting a scarf, they’re not good for a fiddly stitch, a gloves pattern, or knitting socks.
They’re good for ribbing fabric and easy cables, though. You can also get large, white plastic yarn needles for making cabling.
Here’s a helpful video on YouTube discussing the topic.
Which Are Lighter Plastic Or Bamboo Knitting Needles?
Plastic is lighter than Bamboo knitting needles. The difference in weight is not by much.
What Are Plastic Knitting Needles Used For?
Plastic Knitting Needles are used for many different knitted projects – scarves, hats, sweaters, mittens, and more.
They are a good option for beginners due to being very affordable.
How To Straighten Plastic Cord Between Knitting Needles
To uncurl plastic cable knitting needles, place them in hot water for a few minutes. Be careful not to put the needle tips in the water. Dry the cable, and the plastic should’ve straightened out.
How To Straighten Out Plastic Needles
To straighten out plastic knitting needles, boil water in a pot on the stove. Hold needles over the arising steam; remove from steam and straighten with your fingers.
Plunge straighten needles in cold water to set.
These needles are great because they’re lightweight, easy to use, affordable, and perfect for beginners. Hope you found this guide’s content some help!
Pin For Later